Wednesday, March 7, 2012

{ YEAH SAMAKÉ is the man! }

WOW. Last Wednesday, on March 1, my blog had 111 views...
I'm feeling the love! 

What do you want to hear more of on my blog? 
Stories?
Culture? 
Reaction?
Am I doing alright?

I would love some feedback! 

Well, this post isn't about me or my blog.
It's about something far more important...

YEAH SAMAKÉ

Please take a few minutes and watch this video...


See that 5 star rating on this video?
It's because...there's no better way to say...he's the man.
The bomb. 

Yeah is currently the mayor in his hometown of Ouélessébougou, Mali, West Africa.
He is also a 2012 Malian presidential candidate.
He's the man for the job.  

You can read and see all about Yeah and his accomplishments all over the web in news articleswikipedia, and numerous videos...you can read about the changes he plans to make for Mali...
Education.
Health.
Economic Development.
National Security.

Be sure to read more about him and his issues at:


But I want to take this time to tell you a little bit more about his character.

Those who meet Yeah love him immediately. He has a glowing smile that radiates through the room. He is full of energy, life, and passion. He is PASSIONATE about serving his country and his people. He is just a genuinely good man working to truly make a difference. I want to be like him. He has the strength to overcome anything. He lived in the United States for about 10 years before returning to Mali to become mayor of his hometown...how many people leave their home country, come to America, and return? Very few...honestly, I don't know if I would return to Mali after being in the states. I love the people, I love the culture, but for one, it's SO dang hot! It's a sacrifice. But Yeah will sacrifice anything to help his people. He's dedicated to a cause. He is truly concerned about his country. He amazes me. 

He isn't like other politicians...
For one, he's honest. Always. He's transparent. I can ask him anything and everything and he will give me the facts. He is not corrupt. In fact, he is doing all of his fundraising in the US to avoid corrupting influences...he doesn't have any foreign interests or large donors there, he is merely targeting the general population. He has a big heart and a big head...he is not in any way egotistical but he is very intelligent. He thoroughly thinks through the issues at hand before suggesting a long-term solution. He's very sympathetic and compassionate towards everyone. He never acts like he's better than others. He is so genuine. He never gives up and he is full of optimism and excitement. Oh and did I mention that he never even makes fun of my bad French? He only encourages me to keep doing my best.  Yeah never wastes an opportunity. One of the most valuable things he has taught me:

"Have you ever been opportunity knocking? Explore - you don't know what's out there waiting for." 

I am ambitious but this incredible man has encouraged me to reach above and beyond the stars in places I didn't even know existed.

He has achieved so much. Like I said, you can read it all over the web, but let me just say that as mayor, within 3 years, he increased the tax collection rate from the initial 10% to 86%. The people trust him. He has brought lots of water pumps and electricity to villages in Ouélessébougou. He has built many schools. As mayor, he governs over 44,000 people. Look at what he has done in 2 and 1/2 years! What could he do for the 14 million Malians during his 5 years as President? I can't wait to find out!!! 

Not only is Yeah a talented, genuine, big-hearted politician, but he is an incredible father and husband. He is always looking out for his wife and children. He's a family man - and I admire that. I have nothing but good words to say about the Samaké family. They are incredible and they are working together to help change the future of Mali - a quick shout out to his wife, Marissa! She's amazing. 

When I first was offered the opportunity to come to Mali, I felt unsure. I had already spent a semester abroad and the opportunity to work on a presidential campaign was not appealing to me. But, after talking to a few friends who had met Yeah Samake, and had nothing but good things to say about him, I decided to dive right in. It has been one of the best decisions I made. My life has been changed because I know Yeah. He inspires me. 

Now, I'm here in Mali, and we're ready to knock 'em dead! 
We're working hard on the ground.
But, we still need all the support we can get! 
I'm ready to win this, are you? Think about the change we will bring not only for Mali, but for Africa, and for the rest of the World! 
Let's make a difference.
Support Yeah Samake for President of Mali! 

"United, we win all. Divided, we lose all."
"Unis, nous gagnons tous. Divisés, nous perdons tous." 

No comments:

Post a Comment